The rising prices of everyday needs have led people to find creative ways to get the things they want without spending too much. Last year, inflation rates reached 6% on average, peaking at around 8%, one of the highest levels in a decade. The sudden price surge has caused people to think twice before purchasing, especially those not essential for daily needs. This is why more and more Americans have turned to DIY crafts.
Recent studies have found an upturn in DIY crafting projects last year. From simple home decor to complex furniture pieces, people have taken up DIY to save money and add some personal touches to their homes. But the trend is not just limited to home decor. Many people also try their hands at DIY fashion items, such as customizing old clothes or making accessories.
As the popularity of DIY crafting grows, so does the availability of resources and tutorials online. Here are some five-minute DIY crafts and how you can make them in the comfort of your home.
II. 10 Most Popular DIY 5-Minute Crafts
Finding the right craft is a mix of challenge and personal interest. Here’s a look into ten of the most famous DIY crafts and a guide on how to do them.
A. Washi Tape Bookmarks
More people are reading today, and it’s estimated that 65% of readers prefer physical books instead. However, keeping track of your reading can be a challenge without bookmarks. Washi tape bookmarks are a creative and fun project that adds personality to your reading experience. They are simple to make and require minimal materials. Here’s how you can make one:
- Gather your materials: A selection of washi tape designs, a sheet of card stock, a hole punch, and some string or ribbon.
- Cut a strip from the card stock, the size of your desired bookmark. This will be your base.
- Apply your chosen washi tape designs to the card stock. You can layer different methods, create patterns, or use a single tape for a minimalist look.
- Once you’re happy with your design, use the hole punch to create a hole at the top of your bookmark.
- Thread your string or ribbon through the hole, creating a loop at the top.
- Enjoy your new, customized bookmark!
Remember, there’s no wrong way to design your bookmark. Let your creativity flow and add that personal touch to your reading time.
B. Mason Jar Organizer
Organizing small items around the house can be a real headache. Mason jar organizers offer an easy and creative solution to declutter your space while adding a touch of vintage charm. Here’s a quick guide on how you can make a Mason jar organizer at home:
- Collect your materials: Mason jars of various sizes (depending on what you intend to store), a piece of wood for mounting, strong adhesive or clamps, and optional paint for decorating.
- If you wish to paint your jars or wood, do so first and let them dry completely.
- Arrange your mason jars on the wooden board. You can line them up in a row or stagger them for visual interest.
- Use the adhesive to attach the mason jars to the wooden board. If using clamps, tighten them around the neck of the jar and the board. Ensure each jar is securely fastened.
- Allow the adhesive to dry fully. If using clamps, you can skip this step.
- Now, mount your board in your chosen location and start filling your jars!
These organizers are perfect for storing craft supplies, kitchen utensils, makeup, etc. The possibilities are as endless as your imagination!
C. No-Sew T-Shirt Tote Bag
If you’ve got old t-shirts and are unsure what to do with them, transforming them into no-sew t-shirt tote bags is a great option. The process is simple, eco-friendly, and requires no sewing skills. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you craft your t-shirt tote bag:
- Assemble your materials: An old t-shirt, scissors, and a washable marker.
- Lay your T-shirt flat and mark where you want to cut. You’ll need to cut out the collar and sleeves to create your bag’s handles and decide how deep you want them to be.
- Cut along the lines you’ve marked. To ensure symmetry, cut the shirt’s front and back at once.
- After removing the collar and sleeves, you must make the bag’s bottom. Cut fringes (about 1 inch apart and 3-4 inches long) along the shirt’s bottom to do this.
- Finally, tie each front fringe with its corresponding back fringe into a tight knot. This creates the bottom of the bag.
- Once all the fringe pairs are tied, your no-sew t-shirt tote bag is ready to use!
Now, you have a trendy, reusable bag for groceries, library books, or even a day at the beach. It combines fashion, functionality, and environmentally friendly practices perfectly.
D. Paper Plate Frisbees
Transforming paper plates into frisbees is an incredibly fun and easy DIY project, perfect for kids and adults alike. All you need are basic arts and crafts materials and a little imagination. Here’s how to make your own Paper Plate Frisbee:
- Gather your materials: two paper plates, some craft paint or markers, glue, and scissors.
- Begin by painting or coloring your paper plates. You can create any design you like – abstract patterns, faces, or landscapes – entirely up to you.
- Place the two plates together once your paint or markers have dried so their painted sides face outward.
- Apply glue around the edges of the plates and press them together. Make sure they are properly aligned.
- After the glue has dried, use the scissors to cut a small hole in the center of your frisbee. This step is optional but can help improve the frisbee’s aerodynamics.
- Your Paper Plate Frisbee is now ready to fly! Remember to use it in a safe, open area to avoid accidents.
With this simple craft, you can create your outdoor fun. It’s also a great way to recycle used paper plates.
E. Succulent Planters from Egg Cartons
Gardening is becoming a popular hobby in the U.S., with about 55% of the population gardening daily. However, every gardener knows how expensive planters can be. This DIY craft shows you how to make adorable succulent planters from egg cartons, a budget-friendly and environmentally-friendly option.
- Gather your materials: An empty egg carton, potting soil, succulents, and optional paint or decorations.
- Cut the individual cups from an egg carton and set them aside.
- If you wish to paint or decorate your planters, do so now and allow them to dry completely.
- Add potting soil into each cup, filling it about halfway.
- Carefully transplant your succulents into the cups and add more soil if needed.
- Water your new planters lightly and place them in a sunny spot for your succulents to thrive.
These succulent planters are perfect for windowsills, desks, or shelves. You can also get creative with the decorations and personalize them to your liking.
F. Glitter-Dipped Mason Jars
Mason jars are versatile items that can be transformed into decorative or functional pieces. Glitter-dipped mason jars add a touch of sparkle and glam to any event or home decor. Here’s how to create your glitter-dipped mason jar:
- Gather your materials: Mason jar, glitter in your choice of color, mod podge or craft glue, sponge brush, and a protective layer for your workspace (like newspaper).
- Start by cleaning the mason jar thoroughly, ensuring the exterior is dust- or grease-free. Then, let it dry completely.
- Use the sponge brush to apply a thin layer of mod podge or craft glue to the mason jar’s exterior’s lower third (or half, depending on your preference).
- Sprinkle the glitter over the wet glue, covering all the glued areas. You can do this over the protective layer to collect any excess glitter.
- Allow the jar to dry completely. This usually takes a few hours.
- Once dry, seal the glitter with another thin layer of mod podge or glue to prevent it from flaking.
Your glitter-dipped mason jar is ready for use as a vase, candle holder, pencil holder, or any other purpose.
G. Clothespin Photo Holder
Displaying memories in a fun and unique way can be a challenge. Clothespin photo holders are a simple and customizable solution, perfect for any room or event decor. Here’s how you can create your clothespin photo holder at home:
- Gather your materials: A piece of string or twine, clothespins, photos, and optional paint or decorations.
- If you wish to paint or decorate your clothespins, do so first and let them dry completely.
- Tie your string or twine to two points, ensuring it’s taut enough to hold the weight of the photos.
- Attach your photos to the string using the clothespins. You can display as many or as few as you like and easily change the photos whenever you want.
- Enjoy your new, personalized photo display!
This simple craft provides a charming and flexible way to showcase your favorite photos, cards, or art pieces.
H. Key Holder from Wooden Pallets
Repurposing wooden pallets into a key holder is an excellent way to add a rustic touch to your home, besides keeping your keys organized. The process is straightforward and allows plenty of room for customization. Here’s how you can make a wooden pallet key holder:
- Gather your materials: A wooden pallet plank, sandpaper, paint or wood stain (optional), small hooks, a screwdriver, and hanging hardware.
- Start by sanding your wooden pallet plank to smooth out any rough edges and create a clean surface. If your plank is already smooth, you can skip this step.
- If you wish to color your plank, apply your chosen paint or wood stain and let it dry completely.
- Once the wood is dry, decide on the spacing for your hooks. Make sure there’s enough room for each set of keys.
- Screw the hooks into the plank using the screwdriver.
- Finally, attach the hanging hardware to the back of your plank.
Your wooden pallet key holder is now ready to be hung and used. This DIY craft not only helps in organizing but also adds a unique charm to your home decor.
I. Painted Rock Garden Markers
Gardening can be even more fun when you’ve got beautiful, DIY rock garden markers to distinguish between your herbs and plants. This cute, budget-friendly, and practical project adds a colorful touch to your garden. Here’s how to make your painted rock garden markers:
- Gather your materials: Rocks of various sizes (depending on your preference), outdoor acrylic paint, paint brushes, and a clear sealer.
- Start by cleaning your rocks thoroughly and let them dry.
- Use the outdoor acrylic paint to draw or write the names of the plants on each rock. You can also paint a small image of the plant if you prefer. Let the paint dry completely.
- Once the paint is dry, apply a coat of clear sealer to protect the paint from weather and watering. Let it dry.
- Your painted rock garden markers are ready to be placed! Simply put them next to the appropriate plants in your garden.
These markers are functional and add a creative and personal touch to your gardening space.
J. Colorful Paper Straw Bracelets
Creating jewelry from everyday items can be a fun and rewarding DIY project. Colorful paper straw bracelets are simple, allowing you to design personalized accessories for yourself or as gifts. Here’s a quick guide on how to create your paper straw bracelet:
- Gather your materials: Colorful paper straws, a string or elastic cord, scissors, and optional beads or charms for extra decoration.
- Cut the paper straws into pieces approximately 1 inch long. You can adjust the length to suit your design preference.
- Thread the string or elastic cord through the straw pieces. You can create patterns with different colors or keep it simple with a single color.
- If you’re using beads or charms, add them to your design as you wish.
- Add straw pieces and optional decorations until the string or cord is almost full. Leave enough room to tie a knot.
- When you’re satisfied with your design, tie the ends of the string or cord into a secure knot. If using an elastic cord, ensure the bracelet is stretchy enough to fit over your hand.
- Enjoy your colorful, handmade paper straw bracelet!
This DIY project is perfect for parties, gifts, or simply complementing your outfit. You can experiment with different colors, sizes, and decorations to create a unique piece each time.
DIY projects are a great option to reduce the overall cost and reliance on pre-made items. If you have the time, DIY-ers can save a decent amount of money. DIY also allows for customization and personal touches, making the result more meaningful. So, try one of these DIY crafts next time you want to add creativity and personality to your home or wardrobe!